1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Is it bad that I can't think of anything? I mean, I moved to Oregon, but I've lived here before. I lived alone (except for Summer) but I've been living alone for a couple years now. I left a great job without any prospects for another job. Done that before, too. Drove through Canada with all my crap in my car...done that.
OH AHA! I KNOW. I made pizza entirely from scratch.
Well, the sauce was from a can, and all the accoutrements were storebought. BUT THE CRUST WAS FROM SCRATCH!
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do resolutions anymore. I never stick to them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Mel had another kid, a daughter this time, in February. And my friend Jessica and her husband had their first child this summer, a boy named Erik.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, luckily. But a guy I knew from high school died in an avalanche, which was sad.
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada. And I tried poutine! OOH, THAT COULD GO UNDER QUESTION ONE, THINGS I'D NEVER DONE BEFORE!
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
7. What date(s) from 2008 will remain etched your memory, and why?
October was the Month of the Move, and also the Month of Summer's Heinous Injury.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I guess it was deciding to move and then actually doing it. It's really scary to move somewhere you've never been, where you don't have a built-in support system. My brother is nearby but it's still a couple hour drive on a good day to see him.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I haven't found a job here yet. To be fair, I haven't REALLY been looking that hard, but that needs to change.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A couple weeks ago I burnt my arm pretty badly on the oven door. It doesn't hurt anymore, but it's peeling and itching and looks really gross, like tiny tectonic plates.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought several things this year; iPod, digital camera, and a Wii! If I cave when I go to Walmart later, a laptop might be added to that list! Of course, if I wait until tomorrow to go to Walmart, I could put laptop as my answer for next year. I guess we'll see!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Summer was a brave trooper when she got injured. And now she's back and just as fine as ever, so I'd say that merits a lot of celebration!
Also, GO OBAMA!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I was sad when California passed Prop 8.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Gas, rent, MOVING.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving to Oregon (also nervous. Did I mention nervous?).
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2008?
"Carry On, Wayward Son."
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
I. happier or sadder?
About the same, probably. I'll be happier once I find a job I like and start making friends. Last year around this time, I had been thinking about moving for a couple months and I was in a state of indecision.
II. thinner or fatter?
About the same, maybe a tad larger. I haven't been exercising but I've been trying to eat better.
III. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
This remains the same every year: drawing, painting, exercising.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
This also remains the same: procrastinating.
20. Any new hobbies/interests?
I've been collecting beads and beading supplies but haven't really gotten around to doing anything with them.
21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
I'll be here with Summer tonight, but tomorrow I'm driving to Portland to hang out with some friends from high school (and possibly I'll meet some new people), so that should be fun.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
23. How many one-night stands?
Zip. This should surprise none of you.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Supernatural. I'm getting more and more obsessed, it seems. Also, NCIS and Ugly Betty.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone. There are some people I don't LIKE, and who I want to stay away from, but no hate. Not at the moment, at least.
26. What was the best book you read?
I've really enjoyed A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. (In an interesting aside, I went to school with a Bill Bryson, and his dad, also named Bill, was a vice principal. Neither of them wrote this book, however).
27. What was/were your greatest musical discoveries?
I don't know. I never know how to answer this!
28. What did you want and get?
A working oven.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don't know that I've seen many movies that came out this year. I only saw one in the theater, and that was The Day the Earth Stood Still, which will not make my top ten.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27 and Becky and James bought me drinks at the Elks. Very quiet and low-key.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Finding a great job as soon as I moved to Oregon. I'm beginning to think Mac wasn't the best place to move. Don't get me wrong, it's really nice here and I like it a lot, but there aren't a whole lot of jobs to choose from. Someplace closer to Portland may have been better. On the other hand, Mac is prettier than Portland, and no doubt safer, so there is that.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
34. What kept you sane?
My family, my friends, my dog, and the quest for self-confidence.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jensen Ackles. Well, REALLY, Dean Winchester, but he's not real, so Ackles it is.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
If ONE MORE PERSON asks me, "Oh, you're from Alaska? What do you think about Sarah Palin?" I will go FREAKING INSANE.
37. Who did you miss?
Everyone who's not with me. Which, at the moment, is everyone except my dog. I love my dog.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I've only met a few people here, and they're more acquaintances than anything else. I started talking to my brother's girlfriend, who lives in California, and I'll get to meet her in January, so that'll be my answer. (Hi, Sofia!)
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Go for it, no matter what. /MEGACHEESE
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
LAME. I never know what to say for this one, so I'm leaving you now.